1.17.2008

A New Year's First Light



John had to work on New Year's Eve, but he planned to be home by ten. I thought I'd let the girls stay up until he got home, but as I made caramel popcorn before our movie party, I carelessly told them they could stay up until midnight if they wished to. Little thinking they'd actually last until ten, I listened to their shrieks of excitement with a knowing smile.

Well, they lasted until ten and then some. John fell asleep on the couch at quarter to midnight, and Millie and Annika stayed up until half past midnight. Ha!

These are their Christmas stocking glowsticks, enjoyed in a dark house on the eve of a new year. (Susannah indicates her presence with a small, green glow in the lower, right-hand corner.)




2 comments :

Rebecca said...

We went to bed at approximately 8:30 that night. Matt was horribly sick and had to work the next day...and I was not in the mood to party alone. We don't get any channels on TV so I didn't even have the opportunity to watch the ball drop, though admittedly, that doesn't ever shake me with excitement anyway...

Your girls beat us. Well, probably the entire POPULATION beat us! ;-)

Abigail said...

That's what we usually do, actually, but I had to open my big mouth.

We don't get any channels, either, but I can't imagine watching that glittery ball drop is going to make a New Year's night drip with excitement.