1.17.2008

Wee Christmas Morning

Millie and Susannah must have caught the much-feared "Campville Bug" we'd heard so much talk of because as I stuffed stockings at one in the morning, I heard misery upstairs. The misery only lasted through a few changes of clothing and three hours time, but, due to tending to the sick, I stayed up until seven o'clock in the morning readying the house for our morning celebration. John helped with what he could, but I finally sent him to bed because decorating gingerbread girls just isn't his forte.

I made food for the next day, cleaned the messy kitchen, set the table with never-before-used-by-us Christmas dishes, spread a tablecloth and cloth napkins (!),





made chocolate place cards in molds, decorated gingerbread girls,





(Millie's had a minor accident.)




and unveiled the once-a-year sugar cereal from its hiding place.




I also placed a Baby in a manger, moved some shepherds to a stable,



and hung the stockings, stuffed in the toes with tangerines.




It was fun, and the delight the girls shared with us the next morning made it more than worth the while.

5 comments :

Rebecca said...

wow. Look at all that love and care you put into the holiday!? Those nameplates and cookies are just the sweetest(literally!) touches! Those stockings are pretty cool too-I have never seen long stockings like that. And they match too. I suspect you might have made them?

Rebecca said...

Coming back for Day 2 comments, I realized I had a question I didn't ask and one that I didn't ANSWER.

The Ask:

You say this is the one time a year that you have sweet cereal. SO, my question is-do you EAT cereal? Like the non-sweetened stuff? Or do you avoid cereal all together? If so, what sorts of things do you make each morning? Our children eat lots of oatmeal and lots of cereal. The weekends I usually fix things like eggs, pancakes, etc. I would love to hear more about the foods you make during the week...I have considered making 'scratch' breakfasts more during the week.

The ANSWER: You asked on my blog about the fabric made from Corynn's dress re-do. It is a lightweight corduroy-ish like cotton. I bought it at JoAnn's when they had a really great sale-but I bought it not knowing what I would do with it. Glad I found a use for it, tis not always the case! ;-)

Abigail said...

Nope, I didn't make them. I bought them on clearance in the ladies sock department last year. I grew up with stockings almost identical to these, and I searched for four years before I found some for us. I bought six pairs, just to be safe, hoping for a dozen children to use them, but I'll probably just use them as socks when I'm a shriveled old lady. Red knee socks at eighty! I can't wait!

The girls eat lots and lots of oatmeal and Crispy Oats and non-sweet cereal from Aldi. A few times a week, they have scrambled or sunny-side-up eggs with toast, and sometimes I made baked oatmeal, which is a granola-like near-dessert. I make regular pancakes sometimes, but I make Swedish pancakes more frequently (they're almost identical to crepes). On weekends, John will quite often make home fries and eggs with toast, and, when we're lucky, I make waffles or muffins- usually oatmeal, blueberry, apple, cinnamon-streusal, or jam-filled.

So after listing all that, our breakfasts are probably pretty similar.

Rebecca said...

yep. They sound like it. I have noticed myself making more and more 'warm breakfasts lately.

I wonder why...

;-)

heidiann(e) said...

SO lovely!
what fun.