6.15.2007

Fundertake

You probably don't remember this post, let alone its great import in our lives, but whenever thunder rumbles, I remember it and also remember that we have not yet made ourselves a fundertake. Last week, anticipating some glory-packed storm clouds, I splurged on strawberries. Alas, the storms consistently arrived after the girls were asleep-- a time when I could pull up the blinds and sit silent and still by the window, but not a time to rouse little girls for stirring and measuring. By the time Tuesday's surprise storm hit, only five strawberries remained, but the girls and I rushed into the kitchen, startling my good husband who was preparing supper for us, and began to whir about with bowls and spoons.


Now, in the book, the protagonist does not take a bowl outside to catch the thunder, but Mildred thought it necessary and ran outdoors lickety-split. I slipped out the back door to take this picture of them filling metal bowls brimful of boom and rumble.





We added a filling of wild strawberry jam with chocolate buttercream (to make up for the missing strawberries on top) and finished the cake after their official bedtime. I cut them each a plump slice, anyway, kind of like the one a little bear sees from atop his daddy's shoulders.




There were even leftovers for breakfast.


4 comments :

Rebecca said...

Love the idea of thundercake. LOVE how the girls caught thunder and how YOU caught it on camera. Noticed, however, they were using METAL bowls. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!

This said from a Mama who just gave her kiddos a sprinkler bath in the middle of a thunderstorm...

Rebecca said...

Oh-and that frosting looks DELICIOUS. Makes my fingers want a scoop...

Michelle said...

I was thinking about the metal bowls, too...;) Yikes!

That cake looks downright luscious! I must make some, and soon!

Abigail said...

My dear and genteel readers,

Do not fear a reckless mama. Pray notice Millie's mouth in the shape of an "o." She was, per the book's instructions, counting the miles that stretched between the flash of light and the crack of thunder, and we had nothing to fear. (Though, if the storm had been directly overhead, you can bet the walnut tree and its supply of deadly juglone would have gotten zapped first. Um, before acting as a conduit for that same lightning to reach my girls' bare feet and metal-filled palms...)