6.15.2007

Gone to Wanton Waste



In January, my dad retired from his job as a registered nurse. In February, I hosted a surprise party at our house where he thought he was coming to eat key lime and lemon meringue pies for dessert (don't worry; I made them). It was fun and we called it a "Burn the Paperwork" party. (Those of you privileged to know my dad know why we called it such.)

Anyway, all of us kids pooled a bit of money to send our parents on a mini-vacation. Unfortunately, we could not afford a cruise to Novia Scotia, but we could afford a two and a half day adventure to Gananoque, the Thousand Islands, and Boldt Castle. My parents haven't gone away by themselves since their honeymoon night over 35 years ago, so it's high time! We also sent them to their first bed and breakfast ever, the social etiquette of which environment my dad was unsure.

I took this picture a few days ago on break from garlic-planting. They left immediately afterward, and they drive home today. Three cheers for overdue vacations! Now that they have a taste for it, who knows what wild excursions they'll plan! And, yes, my dear, the moon is made of cheese...

3 comments :

Kate said...

Mmmm...I haven't been to Boldt Castle in so many years. At least, not since it's been redone. When I went it was an empty shell with graffiti on all the walls. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Sarah said...

Brilliant!!!

Abigail said...

Kate,
I've been once, when I was about 12, and my parents were impressed by the renovations they've made since then, so much so that my mom wanted to waltz to the music that was piped up to the fourth floor. (Romance...)

Sarah,
Yeah, but it's too bad Novia Scotia was a bust. (That would have been triply brilliant.)