10.30.2008

Pond-ish...Again

We went to the pond a half-dozen times, hence, the multiple pond posts...





To immediately give Piper her due, she did this the entire time we played in the pond.


The girls found the tube to be as much fun outside the water as it is in.




I netted a few slippery fish.



No worries. They did eventually make their way into the water.



Susannah brazenly ventured knee-deep.


My parents showed up so that I could swim in the deep end. (So thoughtful!)


For those who don't know my dad, he's got mad lifeguarding skillz.



Plus, he's a great conversationalist.




AND he hops out of the van to grab fistfuls of wild apples for us.


We took them home, of course, where they were a little too friendly with the elderberries.



(And may I, here, at the end of this post, extoll the virtues of freckled wild apples over any other? Each tree has its own taste, and the tart sweetness-- or sweet tartness?-- can't be beat.)

8 comments :

Liana said...

the reflection picture is my fave!

Anonymous said...

You know, those "wild" apples look strikingly similar to the three apple trees that we have that have been uncooperative about baring fruit for the last several years. Either the frost gets the blossoms or the bees don't. I guess it never occured to me they might be "wild" trees, seeing as they were obviously planted in a deliberate line. They really can't be beat, though, when they do fruit.

cadie said...

I will second the opinion of wild apples being delicious. We recently discovered (well, at least I never noticed it till now) a young wild apple tree in the woods, and the little apples on it were SO good. SO, SO good.

Evan thought he remembered Collin and him burying an apple core up in the woods at that spot, when they were little kids. And if it was one of our apples, from our apple trees, that they buried, I suppose it might be the same thing!

Abigail said...

I don't know about your trees, but if they're freckled and speckled, I'll eat 'em! Well, if they decide to bear fruit again.

Cadie,
That'd be very cool if that tree is an offspring of those down the hill! It makes me want to pull a Johnny Appleseed and bury apples all over the place.

Anonymous said...

Yes, after getting me to help her pick little apples from that tree, and eating them in the woods, Deirdre wanted to bury them right where we ate them. An apple tree springing up where you buried a core 10 years ago is not something I'd expect to happen, but it looks kinda like it did happen! So to Deirdre's mind, I'm sure, there's no reason why it wouldn't happen again. (Not to say she's wrong, but I think it's less guaranteed to happen than it seems to her.)

Rebecca said...

That top one is such a fantastic picture. At first I thought it was actually swervy bark-the reflection is so crisp!

Griffen said...

Amen to wild apples.

And that tube really is the essence of child-hood. Almost makes me want to be a kid again.

Abigail said...

I jumped on it, too, and given the fact that you're much lighter than I, I bet you could get away with kid-dom for the day.