4.16.2015

Brightness After Rain





Even though I nearly used up the last nubbins of white chalk for this one, we have no flowers yet.  I guess indoor chalkboards don't influence outdoor tulips.

We've had buckets of rain and are beginning to spy the first spears of green, however, and on a foggy morning two weeks back, 








mine was the gift of standing outside when a huge company of red-winged blackbirds moved into the neighborhood.




It may be silly, but I grinned seeing a cloud of them whirling around and settling in all the treetops we could spare.  Being present to hear the silence broken with their coarse calls bolstered me as firmly as anything can.

7 comments :

Molly said...

I'm SO glad that spring is headed your way! YAY! We're heating up here in Central Texas with trees that budded and now in leaf. I sent it all your way, my friend. :) By the way, your gorgeous chalk drawing looks like something from our greeting cards - beautiful!

Much love!

Abigail said...

We're still waiting on open bud and leaf, so I'm glad to know they're en route! (Parcel post?)

Rebecca said...

Not silly at all.

I was at Mom's house yesterday for her birthday and her forsythia and azalea's were already blooming! It has to be our turn soon!

Abigail said...

The girls and Zeke just brought the first tiny blossoms from our forsythia yesterday! Enough haven't poked their heads out to actually snip a twig or two off yet, but I had a pile of ten, little blossoms in a heap on the ocuntertop all day. :)

Abigail said...

Atclauly, I upt htme no hte COUNTERTOP.

cadie said...

Great verse - I'll have to look that one up. And yes, your rendering of it is so lovely and artistic. We got some pretty huge flocks of red-winged blackbirds at some point, too. So cool to see them dotting all the trees, like something rained down from the sky and caught in all their branches. I'm still eagerly awaiting "True" spring ;) when all the trees finally burst into green, which I think we're right on the cusp of.

Our neighbor's just down from us have forsythias which have just started to bloom.

Abigail said...

The verse is ripped out of context, but I love the imagery, and I put it up on a gray and rainy day for a bit of solace. :)