11.17.2007

Envelope Five

We drove off the ferryboat at Orient Point, Long Island, knowing we were going to see our Owen family that day.




Before we drove to their house, though, we followed the fifth envelope to this carousel next to the water.


John's great-uncle was its caretaker for many years, and as it moved from location to location, he gave many merry children many merry go-rounds. Now that it has a permanent home, it's dedicated to his memory.




And guess who we saw there? Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Sarah, and the L.I. tuzzins came to meet us by the horses! Pretty cool, huh? Since we're (I include myself since I had the good sense to accept John's marriage intentions) all related to Jess Owen, we rode for free. It was a very nice carousel, and we rode it more than once.





On our drive home, Dude and my mom-in-law treated us all to roasted corn on the cob at a local farmstand. Juicy, dripping with butter, piping hot...aaah. I post no pictures of the corn-eating because we all have butter rivulets on our chins.

Here are some pictures of girls on a fence, instead.






Before we reached home, we also stopped in Flanders to ogle The Big Duck that John's told us about so many times.




It's been returned to its ancestral home with much pomp and circumstance, but we arrived after the ceremony. A nice photographer who was there shooting pictures with a monster camera lens (I estimated it at just under a million feet long) took this picture for us. He used our camera. Annie's cute in her dusty, bare feet. The rest of us are alright.


2 comments :

Michelle said...

I have a photo of myself at that same duck!! :D

It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I am trying not to be jealous, as that is JUST the kind of adventure I would love! "Frahminhahm"-LOL! That is the Boston accent for ya!

Abigail said...

I forgot about your L.I. ties! It's a small world...but a big duck.