11.17.2007

Envelopes Three and Four

On the third envelope, he'd scrawled directions to a hotel-- a second stay in paid luxury in as many days! Millie's first task of import was to determine if this room also had a hair dryer affixed to the wall. It did! So fancy.


They both felt like queens when they used it.




The fourth envelope was the coolest. We (along with our van) rode a ferryboat across the bay from Connecticut to Long Island. It lasted about 2 hours, but I wish it had lasted all day. I loved it. The girls and I spent most of the time on the upper deck, wind-tossed and exultant, but John only poked his head up once. When he saw Susannah looking through the crack "big enough for her to fall through!" he immediately went below to burrow his worried head in the sand. I love him, and I love that having children to love has made him cautious about places in which he would normally eschew caution. He's never valued his own life overmuch, especially before we were married, but those of our children are more precious than all else.


I kept trying to get him to come up by assuring him that there was no way on earth Susannah could squeeze her big head through the rail, but he wouldn't listen. You be the judge. (Biiiig head; teeeensy space.) Plus, the entire time she was above deck, excluding this photo, I had her in my arms. (Do you appreciate how I'm justifying myself to those of you who think she could squeeze her biiiiig head through that teeeeensy space?)











A large part of this ride's appeal was the constant wind. Since most people chose to stay on the enclosed second floor, we enjoyed their share, too. Annika's scream-- yes, scream-- of delight is the reason why I post this one.



Wind-scrunched faces, all three.



Here's the other wind-scrunched face. A cute one, eh?






Annie and I were happy to see this small lighthouse.






Here's a picture of the proverbial founder of the feast. He's laughing at me because as we were preparing to drive off the ferryboat, I frantically unearthed the camera so that we could remember that he, too, rode the ferryboat on the sixth of October, year of our Lord 2007.


5 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

ALL of that is wonderful.

Liana said...

ditto.
YAY for John making the '6' so perfect for you all!

Rebecca said...

I love that one of Annie screaming at the top of her lungs!

I would love to see a doodle version of her in that moment!

Abigail said...

The last time I did a realistic portrait sketch was when Millie was a year old. This one would be fun, though she might look kind of frightening in it without context. "RAOOORRRRYEARRRHHH!" like a moster from the deep.

Abigail said...

MOSTERS are even more monstrous than monsters, in case anyone is wondering.