11.17.2007

Unite!

I was sorely lax in my documentation of this year's Manwaring Family Reunion. Don't worry; Lord willing, there's always next year's picnic.

Before the water come the trees.




Brother Pete, watchful Papa, keeps one arm on the boy who has walked into the pond in two consecutive years. Last year, Sarah soared in to scoop him out an eyeblink after he calmly walked off the edge into the deep end. At least this year he was considerate enough to enter the shallow end first.



Haven Fish.


Here is Pete's impression of a scurvy knave. I think he needs to be scurvier and knavier in order to pull it off...



Luke took pictures of the girls and I in the pond. Millie was to our right sliding into the water over and over again.





Contrary to appearances, I am not dunking her here; she was leaning back in an attempt to dunk herself, an activity which occupied her the entire time we were in the water.




I saved the best for last. Millie played, unconcerned, with this leech gorging itself on her foot until she at last came to me with a slightly amused, "Look, Mama!" It was only when everyone around her became concerned and Very Helpful with Salt and More Salt that she became a bit worried and whispered in my ear, "It hurts, Mama." Though her initial appraisal verged on the positive end, she has now decided that she does not like "bleaches."




Here's to next year!

1 comment :

Rebecca said...

YUCK! Ugh. I have never seen a leech before. Or what they can do.

That is just AWFUL!