11.17.2007

Twenty-sixth of September

The girls always ask John to take the "park way home" on Sunday afternoons. They mean by this to drive a circuitous route through the park instead of going directly home via the main road. On the first Sunday of fall, John not only honored their request but also pulled over in the park to drop me and the older two girls off.





So balmy we kicked off shoes, so blue and golden-green we blinked.
Some fall, huh?

PART ONE: BRITTLE LEAVES

















PART TWO: A CRICK (CReeK for those of you who aren't hillbillies)
AND A TUNNEL









PART THREE: A GIRL AND HER STICK






PART FOUR: SOME APPLES (A scruffy apple tree grows next to the playground, and we avail ourselves of its bounty.)






PART FIVE: SOME RUNNING

I love this picture of Mildred. This is her. Running barefoot, blurry, and singing, hair whipping, disdainful of the camera.




PART SIX: SOME SUMAC
Mildred loves eating sumac berries, and this was one of the last sumac snacks of the season.


3 comments :

Anonymous said...

The scenery, and the picture as a whole, looks so beautiful, in the picture where Millie and Annika are running toward the camera back in Part 1. In the head shot of Millie in that section she reminds me a little of Deirdre for some reason. I think just because Deirdre has a similar expression sometimes.

I really like the one of Annika and Millie at the creek, too. Even though Annika's head is cut off, it seems perfect.

Finally--I didn't know you could eat sumac berries! For some reason I always correlated sumac with poisonous. Maybe because there's such a thing called poison sumac (isn't there?) Elderberries, yes, but sumac, I didn't realize were edible.

Michelle said...

I, too, had no idea you could eat sumac berries! They must be the "velvet sumac" ones, right? You really do learn something new everyday! I still don't trust myself to hack a piece of sumac off a bush for my kids. Knowing me, it would be of the poisonous variety!

Abigail said...

Yes, some sumac is poisonous! Never eat sumac varieties with white berries, as one rule of thumb. The velvet sumac is edible, and you can even use them to make "sumac-ade." The berries have a tartness to them that mimics lemonade. Of course, never ever nibble any wild food of which you're not certain, but velvet sumac is easy to identify and safe to nibble. I used to munch it while playing all the time when I was younger, and I turned out just fine...didn't I?