3.27.2013

Of COURSE I've Been to Radio City Music Hall

The cab driver took us here.
I didn't really know what this place was, though I've heard of it before (I'm not a complete hayseed.)






I don't even know where to start. The show was a few hours long and jam-packed full of glitz and color, with marvels enough to impress me thoroughly (I'm a complete hayseed, remember?), and the girls and I enjoyed it to the very last drop.

I guess I'll tackle these pictures by starting with a numbered list.

1.  The world's fanciest chandelier:





2.  The world's fanciest bathroom:


 


3.  The world's grinning-est girl IN the world's fanciest bathroom:





4.  Right before the show: snowflakes on the ceiling and a high school choir.





5. Organs!  Organs that slide out of the walls!  Organs that slide out of the walls WITH organists attached!





6.  A live orchestra!  An orchestra that floats up from the floor!




7. One bearded man in a red suit:




8. A trio of bearded, red-suited men with their shadows:




 9.  Bearded men in red suits who magically multiply!





  The performers danced a portion of the Nutcracker ballet, too, which the girls especially loved.








 The tin soldiers segment was one of our absolute favorites.  










Since it's Sarah's favorite, too, I didn't question our good taste.  Look!  They fall down like a row of red and white dominoes.




The show included mechanical marvels, like a double-decker bus that zoomed around the stage and was packed full of dancing ladies.





An ice rink that rose up out of the floor, complete with a pair of figure skaters.


 


A bearded, red-suited man taught life lessons in his workshop, which was kind of like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory without the chocolate, the Oompa Loompas, and Willy Wonka.  




I have to say that covetousness swallowed me whole during this segment.  The bright tights! The colorful boots!  The zany, full dresses!  (There's a reason I wanted to be a clown and a reason I painted the walls of this house garish shades.  I think I like bright colors.)




I was surprised that after a show filled with our culture's typical holiday fare, it culminated with the True Story.  A live orchestra, a small zoo of animals, and-- after so much fun but ultimately empty glamor-- a reenactment of shepherds on a hill, wise men traveling far, and a Baby in his mother's arms.










And then we left with our senses stuffed brimful. 



8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Golly! That looks spectacular...

-Debbie

elizabethfrances said...

Wow.
Just wow.

Susanna said...

holy cow your pictures are phenomenal!! love catching up on your family!!

Abigail said...

Deb,
You know what the show is called, right? For a split second, I was absolutely delighted that you called it "spectacular" until I realized that you probably followed the link.

E.F.,
I know!

Susanna,
Welcome-- it's been too long! You should have seen the ones I didn't post... ;)

Anonymous said...

Abby, you can continue to be absolutely delighted. I did follow the link, but I made no conscious connection when I posted my comment. The show simply met its intended aim...

- Deb

heidiann(e) said...

OH.
HOW.

FUN!

Abigail said...

Deb,
Yippee! That's great.

Abigail said...

No, wait...

That's SPECTACULAR!