6.03.2013

In the Midst



 With the warming, the last two weeks brought a steady stream of friends and family in and out.  We hosted a get-together on Memorial Day, my sister Debbie swooped in for a weekend, brother Joel was here for two solid weeks (yeah!), and Luke and Jae-Ryong visited.  We had picnics, attended a wedding shower, and enjoyed a windy wedding next to a picturesque lake with faraway folks we don't see often enough.  My cool aunt-- the one who lived in this house for 15 years before us-- favored us with a visit before heading back to West Virginia, and she was gracious enough to ignore the crunchy kitchen floor and not raise her eyebrows at the searing paint shades on the walls. Someday, when I'm old and the only grubby hands in the house are mine, then we'll have wide walls of white with bright pops of color.  For now, though, it's walls of electric hue with small spots of white where Luci has misused the hammer (truth).

I should get back on track.  So where are the snapshots of all these things?  They don't exist.  I guess I offended Fancy Camera by complaining about too many redundant pictures on this blog, because I haven't seen it much lately, and it slinks around the house like a piqued cat.
 
We're still wrapping up hlearning in fits and starts, like an engine with too little fuel in the tank.  We're also in the thick of required Iowa testing, while the garden sits unsown, the flower beds flourish, weeds and all, and to-dos a mile long gather dust on the desk. I won't bore you with the litany because my blog's not a to-do list, plus, part of my avoidance coping strategy lies in not thinking about unpleasantness.  In a month, though, Lord willing, the garden will be in, the flower beds will be lovely, formal hlearning will be done, some of the pesky to-dos will be to-done, and this current craze of busyness will slide into a blessed lull.

For now, here's all I've got-- a few snapshots the cat dragged in.

8 comments :

Abigail said...

Ha! I just accidentally deleted your comment. That shows just how much I liked your offer, hm?

Here-- I'll cut and paste it from my email just so that I can have the pleasure of reading again that YOU LIED ABOUT THE PLANTING SCHEDULE. I took the small liberty of altering that part of your comment to bold. :) (It had to be done.)

Rebecca (from Renaissance) said:
"Oops the other comment belongs here-but you get the idea.

And hey! I have two able hands ready and willing to run to YOUR garden for planting whenever you wish. DO wish.

(THERE. How do YOU like it!?!?) hehehe

And yes. I liked it.
And yes. I totally lied when I said I would do one vegetable at a time. But how can a girl do ONE vegetable if the vegetable for the day was, say, zucchini. Four seeds? For a whole day? That is absurd. I WILL say, in my defense, that I have stopped when I was tired (or sick of it) this year instead of trudging on until it was done. Which is why I had hoped to have the whole blessed thing done by now and I only have about half.

So. Yes- I was bad. But then again- I have forced myself to slow down (to the point of driving me crazy.) 'The End' to the ridiculous justification."


My reply:
I'm still waiting on a visit from my dad before I can plant a thing besides the herb bed and flowers, so, most unfortunately, I can't take you up on it. (My bootstraps are HUGE!)

Hopefully yours will be in by the weekend, and you'll be free to come with your family for a visit! Yes?

By the way, I totally understand your hardhearted refusal of my offer to help. Seriously. Remember my modified bedrest success story? When you don't feel a pressing need, and when there are so many little hands waiting-- so eagerly, right?-- to help, it probably seems like more bother than it's worth. For future reference, though, as helpers we require neither a clean house nor a potato bar. (Also, your bootstraps are showing...)

Abigail said...

BOTH bootstraps.

Griffen said...

Read this, and feel in good company:)
http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/05/30/worst-end-of-school-year-mom-ever#.UagcUDUInaE.facebook

Or if I'm wrong and you cannot relate, then laugh, at least.

Abigail said...

Any homeschooling mom who CAN'T relate to at least a small part of that is either fooling herself or is a robot.

This year is winding up pretty well, but last year...

Zeke was born on April 24th.
The garden needed to be prepared and sewn by mid-June.

'Nuff said.

Abigail said...

p.s. The part that made me guffaw out loud was when I saw the picture of her son in his Ben Franklin costume. I would have given him Best of Show! Seriously awesome.

Abigail said...

I meant "sown."

Sheesh.

I have enough mending to do without adding an entire garden to the pile.

heidiann(e) said...

I LOVE that pixelated rain-screen photo.

None others needed.
thank you.

Abigail said...

Oh, good! I loved that one, too, without really knowing why.