6.03.2013

Yes, It's True




I took no snapshots of cookouts, visits, visitors, weddings, girls running in the rain, girls splashing in the crick, and so on.  And, yes, as a strange foil to this Hole of Nothing, I surely did take a dozen snaps of the black locust tree in the sunlight.  (You are not alone.  I don't understand myself, either.)





It smells indescribably sweet, if that's any defense, and I find excuses to stand outside when the breeze blows eastward.













 
During the small window of time that it blossoms, we're also eating raw blossoms by the handful.  In taste a cousin to the sweet pea and with the slightest hint of vanilla, munching them is a pleasure inimitable.


 


Last night, we even had deep-fried black locust blossoms.  It was a first for us, but I doubt it will be a last.

7 comments :

Rebecca said...

You not only nibbled blossoms but you served them for supper? True foragers, you Owens.

Such pretty trees they are.

Abigail said...

You are so faithful in your commenting. It's amazing! Someone reads my blog!

They are indeed pretty, and in spite of their virtues (long-lasting hard wood and yummy blossoms), I shake me fist at them for dropping thorny branches that weekly pierce our bare feet. I'm not sure if the trade-off makes us even.

Farmgirl said...

Wait.. what... they're EDIBLE!?! I've nearly become drunk on their scent for years and years at our family farm.... and never knew the munchability of them. Their scent is other-worldly... something belonging in the Iliad or some other dangerous tale fo being lured away by beautiful and sweet things... But EDIBLE?!?!

Abigail said...

Let me give credit where credit is due:

A Squirrel who likes to hang around this Bird was the first person to tell us that they were edible. We haven't looked back since!

Rebecca said...

After my children filled their bellies to brimming with locust flowers, I read this...
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20385865,00.html

and immediately became paranoid since we have approximately HALF of those 'most deadly plants' in our yard. I had the 'just because we eat locust blossoms and calendula and sip nectar from some flowers doesn't mean you can do it to all" talk.

Life is confusing.

Abigail said...

I showed that same thing to my girls last week! :)

My youngest children are really good about bringing flowers to me for permission first, thank goodness. Zeke is hopeless, though.

Abigail said...

p.s.
Reading about the toxicity of rhododendron and hydrangea was the ONLY thing that made me glad that my baby bushes didn't survive this last winter (sob). At least my children won't die from an ill-chosen snack, right!