6.27.2013

Taughannock

Last Saturday, John and I took the three Littles to a sunrise wedding by the falls while the Biggles went  to the Sunday School picnic at my parent's Meeting.  We woke up at 4-ish, with the air cool and dark, and were on the road by 4:30.  Given the fact that all three had fallen asleep past their normal bedtime the night before, I assumed they'd slumber the whole way there.

 I was dead wrong.

They stayed awake until the ride home at 3:30 in the afternoon, and only after a day brimful of busy.  I brought my camera because I thought I'd take pictures of us lounging in the gorgeous park in which the ceremony was held, but I ended up helping set up for the wedding reception, so I only took a dozen pictures the whole day.

Most of them were of Piper and Elder Jones the Younger.





John held Zeke and visited with friends while Luci and I took in the scenery-- a tall, narrow waterfall with the first light of morning dusting the top, the excitement and bustle of people waiting for the ceremony to begin, and Piper, chatting it up with Mike.  My friend Rebecca was a photographer, and I didn't want to be the Guest with a Camera Getting in the Way, but I couldn't resist taking a short series of shots.





She's getting too big for her britches, huh?  (Also, those red britches are capris I forgot to take off when we reached the park.  They were hidden under her dress, or so I thought.)


Here comes the bride.


 


I sneakily took this picture of the groom's sister playing her way down the path.  So beautiful.


 


I also sneakily snatched a picture of Anna, because she's wonderful.






And I took this one from the back of the pack, because by this point everybody and their brother had cameras out, so I didn't feel awkward, and I wanted the big girls to see how stunning it all was.





Here's a lone picture from the reception.  Piper and Luci hunted frogs while John and Matt settled into a slow conversation with pipes.   I tried to take a picture of Piper's baby toad, but it jumped away.


C'est la vie.


 


6 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

so beautiful!

and a ukelele girl? perfect!

Rebecca said...

#1: Piper looks like she is going on 25 there with her lady-like legs and all! Aye yi yi.

#2: Why does the waterfall look twice as long and stately in your photograph as it did in real life? Because of your magic fingers. I think Jennifer is going to be one pleased bride.

#3: I am betting you won't need pictures to remember the reception! :-)

#4: Your children were angelic considering their schedule. Even Sunday at church when you came BY YOURSELF. I was in awe of you and your girls that whole afternoon at how you can keep things so together and how your girls, even under exhausting circumstances can sit so quietly and nicely. Meanwhile- my children were given stink eyes almost entirely through the service and they had no good excuse at all. Well done, you.

Abigail said...

R.,
Her adult body language was the whole reason I seized the camera. Too funny.

Also, if I have the ability to make things twice as long as they are in real life, she may not be happy. Who wants to be 10' 4" on their wedding day? There's a reason why I'm second shooter. :)

Regarding stink eyes: Between walking around with fussy Zeke the entire time and trying to communicate with a Naughty Tease Who Shall Not Be Named Because It Was Piper with only my eyes, my stink probably filled the entire gym. And Luci fell asleep standing up, loosely propped up by the chair. I was fully prepared to yell, "Timbeeeeer!" as soon as she started to fall, but she stayed that way until the Lord's Supper. Phew. We barely survived the day, but I guess I should be glad we fooled you?

Anonymous said...

For the lack of pictures I thank you greatly. Without all of your help, and the help of other lovely guests I would probably have ended the day in a mental institution. The pictures you do have are beautiful!

Abigail said...

If this is who I think it is, then rest assured that I was overjoyed to have no pictures for that reason. It sounds melodramatic, I know, but I wouldn't have rather been doing anything than what we were doing, ESPECIALLY if it spared you from the madhouse. :) It felt good to be able to help out. (I hope you got a biiiig slice of cheesecake to go with that bottle of wine.)

Kate said...

What an idyllic spot for a wedding.