5.15.2013

Party Like the Greeks, Or, This Post Belongs on Buildabelly

We're in our second history cycle this year, so September found us hlearning about history from the very beginning again.  In April, we planned a Greek party to celebrate finishing our history book on ancient Greece before we started studying Rome.  An entire day of leaving books on the shelf and eating tons of food sounded great to all of us.  Here's the thing.  Ancient Greeks, at least until they were influenced by Persian decadence, really didn't eat tons of rich food, which is what I would want to serve at a Greek party, so we compromised a bit.  First, we decided to ignore the Spartans (Black broth?  No thanks.).  Second, I slipped increasingly yummier foods into our meals until by the time we reached supper, the world's stickiest baklava waited for dessert.

Also, I really shouldn't have to give this addendum by this point, but just assume that there are no pictures of the rest of the house because it looked like a band of barbarians had sacked it.

Breakfast: hard-boiled eggs from our hens, an orange, and homemade yogurt drizzled with honey and crushed walnuts.  Not so bad, eh?


 


Lunch: grape must pudding (improvised) made with Concord grape juice we canned 2 years ago.


 


Rosemary-garlic olive oil dipping sauce and crusty bread (recipe to come someday):

 



Roasted chickpeas two ways: a double batch garlic-spicy and a double batch cinnamon-sugar.  See how I'm slipping into yummier territory? (I soaked the beans overnight and didn't use a recipe, roasting them at about 400 degrees, I think, but here's a recipe that looks good.)











Orange slices drizzled with honey:



 


Sliced cheese, raisins, and a table ringed with happy, hungry children: 



 


I totally fudged for supper and made a more modern Greek meal, simply because I love chicken souvlaki so darn much.

Chicken souvlaki using this chicken, a double batch of this pita bread, sparkling grape juice leftover from New Year's, this awesome dressing Annie made (with the oil increased, some apple cider vinegar substituted for part of the red wine, + a few other changes I don't remember), and olives and stuffed grape leaves my Heart surprised us with when he came home (oh, and baklava for dessert, but I was busy stuffing my face and forgot to take a picture).  The previous sentence wins Best of Show in the run-on department, I know.


 


Millie wants lasagna and pizza when we finish hlearning about ancient Rome.  Something tells me ancient Romans ate crusty  bread and wine instead, and that same something tells me we'll probably make lasagna and pizza, anyway...

1 comment :

Rebecca said...

Can I be your student too? This all looks SO good.