5.15.2013

The Last Leg




Su found a red mite on her shovel.






I thought Annie's sneakers were funny.  The very next day my mom stopped up with a like-new pair she'd just picked up at a garage sale.  Just in time!






Ferns unfurling:









On the way out, they all stopped for a climb in the camel tree.



















We also made a pit stop at the girls' old fort.















The old car-home holds nothing but good memories.  Millie thinks we should live in it over the summer, and I would plan a vacation there if not for the fact that we let my dad use it as a storage shed.





Before I forget, here's the culmination of dozens of snapshots and several hours in the woods:  potato and wild leek soup for supper.  Delicious.


 

4 comments :

Rebecca said...

The above tree is SUCH a perfect tree!

The below flowers are so lovely.

The soup, right here, is JUST right.

I am very jealous of your leek patch and wish I could find one of my own!

Rebecca said...

(Truth is, I probably wouldn't know it if I stumbled upon them anyway. Next spring, perhaps you can come and use your keen obversational skills to point me to a nearby patch? Maybe? Pretty Please?)

Rebecca said...

Shoot! One more thing-

(I am commenting BACKWARDS which complicates things because I don't realize until it is too late what is all one post. Surry.)

Have you ever prepared fiddleheads? If so, are they delicious? I'd like to try my hand at that as well. I WOULD be able to scout THOSE out though.

Abigail said...

I'm positive (okay, not positive) that you've got ramps in your woods. They're extremely common around here, and you're not too far away! Just take a walk in the early spring woods; if you find a patch of green, break off a stem and you'll know. The base of the stem is purplish, and they have an unmistakable garlic-onion odor.

Fiddleheads ARE delicious, though I haven't had them in a while. My dad used to take us down by the river to hunt for (ostrich fern) fiddleheads when I was young. They taste similar to asparagus, which I think, just maybe, you like... :)