5.21.2013

Smother's Day





I don't particularly care for Mother's Day; I like to celebrate my Mopsy and mom-in-law, but now that I'm a mother myself, I sometimes dread the forced expectation for a day that, in reality, usually unfolds with a smattering of joy and grumps like any other.  The girls were sweet and gave me gifts and goodwill, but John was at work, and I was tired and grouchy, anyway.  (Scrooge.)

SMOTHER'S Day, in contrast, is the joyous and jolly day that falls the Monday following Mother's Day.  I think John invented it, but you may borrow it for yourselves if you wish. 

It was marked by a happy date with my Heart, for which we brought all our wonderful children, and during which John tried to initiate Ezekiel into the joys of coffee.  We used the gift card you gave us, Mom O., and I celebrated my family by eating a dozen rolls slathered in honey butter.  Then (because what else could I order on Smother's Day?), I enjoyed a plateful of smothered chicken.  You bet.

On our way out I took the picture below for our friend in Texas. :)

I am glad to be a mother-- glad beyond words-- even when it doesn't include a plateful of warm rolls dripping with honey butter, but I won't refuse them when they're offered.  

Because I'm unfailingly polite, that's why.


 

4 comments :

Rebecca said...

My mother's day involves things like husbands saying "What did you do for MY mother?" while simultaneously ignoring the fact that I am mothering HIS children. This particular one was especially wonderful because Corynn made mother's day presents for Matt's MOM and for our elderly neighbor, but not me.

Yes, really joyful times.

I wish there were a Smother's Day, but since Mother's Day is a wash, I am pretty sure Smother's Day would be too.

Abigail said...

If John's mom hadn't taken the girls to the dollar store when she was visiting in April, I wouldn't have had anything, either (i.e. no hand-stitched books of poems on mothers for me!). Thank goodness this stuff doesn't matter.

This is exactly why I don't like what Mother's Day has become, though; it spreads the message that these things DO matter and must occur on a particular day. Nope. I'll take the bouquets and drawings from the previous week and call it good.

p.s. Even though he loves his mother AND me, John hates Mother's Day, and I don't much blame him.

p.p.s. I think Smother's Day can be any day you wish! Just pick a good day and label it so! Maybe every day apart from Mother's Day is "Smother's Day," following the same rule that governs birthdays and happy unbirthdays...

Molly said...

Well, these license plates remind me of home! Thank you for including this thoughtful picture in your blog. Our license plate is the one with the space shuttle. They've now gone back to black and white like they were in the 1950's. By the way, where were you that so many Texas tags showed up? I love this!

Mother's Day was just the three of us and our Mom's are now with Jesus. We went to church and then to eat. Just a quiet day. Each stage of our lives leaves much to ponder. I sure like the idea of Smother's Day!

Much love!

Abigail said...

Molly,

That's the best license plate of the bunch. :) We ate at Texas Roadhouse, which is crammed with Wild West design, including but not limited to plastic cacti. Their rolls are divine.

I'm glad you enjoyed each other! I am thankful that this stage of life includes both mothering and mothers, and reminders like yours serve to make me more grateful for their presence here right now. I hate to think about that Someday to come, with sweet memories and a longing for the reunion. Until that day, may God soften the missing.