5.15.2013

She Said She Was Downsizing

The local church we're members of changes its liturgy throughout the church year, and we recently stopped reciting portions of Deuteronomy 6 together during the Lord's service.  I miss doing so because as the words passed my lips each week, I was freshly reminded of all the wealth God has given us, freely, through no merit of our own.  Our country's skewed standards of wealth label our family far below poverty level, but this mansion we live in, the material goods that stuff it full, overflowing food from the garden, the energy and health that permit us to can and store it for winter, a roomy vehicle to fit all 8 of us-- it's all exorbitant, unnecessary wealth that belies that standard in a world in which so many are destitute.

The year after we bought this empty house, I laughed realizing that God had furnished the entire thing for us.  The most we'd spent in any one room-- for decorations, furniture, doodads, rugs, pillows, you name it-- was less than 30 dollars, and most rooms were completely furnished nearly free through gifts, castoffs, garage sales, and roadside finds.  He has given us a house full of all good things we did not fill.






When God lavishes us with something completely unneeded, His role as father is near to me.  As parents, we give what is needed-- food, clothing, shelter-- but when we give what is not needed, simply for the delight it will bring our child, love expresses itself uniquely.  This parallels God's love for us, as I'm often struck most by His care when He gives something utterly needless, something so gratuitous that the thought of having it has never once entered my head-- something like this house.

Something like this sewing machine.





My mother's friend from quilt guild, whom I've not yet met, recently sent her home with an old Bernina as a gift for me.  My mom protested and tried, multiple times, to convince her to sell it for a profit instead, but she insisted that she would rather it go to someone who would use it than sell it at auction.  This is largesse-- a God who works in the little things, those things that surprise and delight.  Like a papa pulling a puppy from his overcoat, He gives us great and good things unasked for.

3 comments :

Laura said...

This made me tear up. Such a wonderful woman with a heart to share it with you! Can't wait to see some of the new things you make. :)

Abigail said...

I know! I was so overwhelmed.

elizabethfrances said...

Awesome! Wow, I am so glad someone gave you this!! You will make great things.