5.15.2013

Zeke Turns One, Take One




Dude, Mom O., and Sarah were able to visit for several days right before Zeke's birthday.  We ate good food, enjoyed each other, and tried unsuccessfully to stop Mom O. from buying delicious pizza and other yummy food (a weak attempt is still an attempt, right?; it was delicious pizza).





The weather didn't feel like spring, but they cheerfully endured sleeping in the broken-furnace-pipe library, even missing nearly an entire night's sleep because of a pesky and very busy rat (sorry, Dude!)




Each time we are able to see them, either here or there, I am overwhelmed by how blessed I am to know them.  I know several friends who, though they love their mom-in-laws, have had to struggle through some friction through the years for one reason or another, working toward peaceful relationships in spite of great differences.





The only laughable gripe I can come up with regarding our Owen family isn't even a gripe, but it's the best I can do-- they spoil us too much.  There, how's that for awful?  They just won't stop spoiling us no matter how hard I try (and I try hard)!   I've got it bad, I know.





After a wonderful visit, the night before their departure Mom O. bought an ice cream cake to celebrate Zeke a bit early. (Sorry for the quality, Dudette; I had to switch most to black and white because of the flaming orange sunset, and they're grainy, to boot.)





This little boy's too young to know intellectually how blessed he is to have two sets of attentive and loving grandparents, but I'm pretty sure he knows it deep in his bones in the way babies do. 






I love this next picture.  He's so coy.





Oh, this one, too!





Here he is opening his Very First Birthday Card...with a smidge of help.





 Zekie Bear.





AND there's cake?!!!  He had no idea!





He blew out his Very First Birthday Candle....with another smidge of help.





PRESENTS, TOO?!!!!  It was at this point that Ezekiel began to realize just how wonderful birthdays are.






He had more presents than a one-year old should have, which is to say, anything more than one (please see above section titled "Spoiling"), but my favorite was this wooden plane Dude had picked up at a thrift store and then painted, decorated with eagle and American flag decals, and sealed.  It reflects Dude perfectly, and Ezekiel likes to roll it along the floor when his sisters give him the chance.






Since Piper's birthday is June 1st, she lucked out and got to open a couple of gifts, too.  My only regret is the poor quality of the photos.  Just look at her crazy eyes as she opens a plush Pooh and a Pooh necklace...




She must take after her mother. 



 

2 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

Those eyes are too much! I am stifling laughter so as not to wake our sleeping bird.

Happy birthday to both!
What joy knowing you all.

elizabethfrances said...

Yes! I agree with all Heidi said.