5.29.2007

Adventuring


Two weeks ago, we had an bonafide adventure! It wasn't an overrated grocery-shopping/laundromat/Fabulous Finds adventure, either. We drove down to Jim Thorpe, an old mining and railroad town in the Pocono Mountains, to visit with my brother Pete and his family en route to a wedding in Lancaster. (I took the above picture the night we arrived. It's Pete and Sarah's church, as seen from outside their house.)



I used to revere Pete, even squandering my life's savings ($350!) on an electric bass and amp when I was in tenth grade because he thought it'd be cool to play together. Somehow, his banjo and my neglected bass never got a chance to jive, and it makes a great story when unstrung in tall-tale fashion. I don't have time for that here, though, and tall tales are most enjoyed when told in the oral tradition, anyway. Suffice it to say, though I'd now ignore him if he told me to buy a bass, he's still one of the coolest guys I know.


After John and I got married, I was glad that he and Pete hit it off, and it's no surprise that I'm glad they're still hitting it off nearly six years later. And because they enjoy late nights over theology and dark ale, I get to visit with the cool girl who married Pete. (Don't worry; my editors said it was fine for me to use the word "cool" multiple times in one post.) Sarah's artistic and funny and crazy and honest. Many times, I've been struck by God's goodness in bringing two women I've easily grown to love into the Johnson family. Only two of my brothers have married so far, and both of their wives are woman I am proud and grateful to call sisters.

Here's Sarah with Gussy. Before He spoke the world, God ordained that Augustine live and grow despite the odds against him doing so. Look how big this little manchop is growing...


He smiles a lot, too, big and bright, but I only caught him with a furrowed brow.

2 comments :

Michelle P said...

Jim Thorpe is the perfect little town, isn't it?! Kris Buch and I used it as our meet-up place for quite awhile...lots of fun shops & restuarants, AND a beach! How fun that your brother lives there!

Griffen said...

I'm so glad for pictures of this lovely child we prayed for so long ago. Praise God (again!)