5.29.2007

X Marks the Spot


This past week the girls and I again went to Nanticoke, only this time for a treasure hunt. Our heart's desire? Dark, rich, black gold-- well-aged and abundant. Destination? My cousin-in-law Scott's farm. He and his family had unsuccessfully tried to hide it in a grass-covered mound, but we mined it out.

I asked Leah to take a picture of us as manure miners, and she did, but I like this one better. My mom and had forgotten she still had a camera and were fighting like ninnies over shovel possession.


Scott and Leah's middle child, a tried and true Farmer Boy.


Leah and her boys. (It's funny; I was in the middle of a three point turn when I looked out my window and saw them walking back to the house. Happy trigger finger...)


Later, we returned to look at their newborn pony Clippety-Cloppity.








She found a stick and was immediately transformed into "Gahlinnnda da Doog Witch."



Annika was quite excited about the kittens.



And the ride home, with a whole seatful of manure-plump feed sacks. I could happily use about five times this much, if not for the half an hour in between our soil and the source of this stuff. There are many reasons to look forward to a move Nanticoke-ward. I am excited about having a garden on land we own....and a cousin-in-law up the road with a manure spreader and an ample supply of black gold.


2 comments :

Rebecca said...

1) Didn't Scott just write about a broken rib or something? What is he, superman?

2)Your Mom is so fun.

3)That picture of Leah and the boys are great and one I am sure she will cherish it. That is a wall one for sure, Leah! I love that kind of picture so much, I have tried to do it myself with my kids by setting up the camera on timer and then running to the kids. I know, pathetic. They never turn out either. :-)

4)Annie's hair is amazing and turns me green with envy for Corynn's sake. I love both black and white pictures of her.

5) Your van must have smelled GRAND! :-)

Abigail said...

Not Superman, but a plucky farmer with no hired help, which amounts to the same thing. He has no choice but to keep plugging away on his chores, but to help us with ours was admirable!

Thankfully, it's aged manure, so it's actually more akin to ultra-rich soil than the smelly end of a cow.

p.s. Next time you're up, I can do the same (snapshot-wise) for you, if you'd like. When can we expect you?