5.29.2007

Good Old Granny





Here are the pillows I recently made for friends of ours who were married too long ago to excuse such a late gift. They're a grandmother gift, and the first pillows I've ever made (not that I plan on making a habit of it, but I'm beginning another one soon). I pieced together strips on the sides and embroidered the centers with a very loose interpretation of lavender. In hopes of finishing them in time to pass them off at Steve and Nicole's wedding, I cut corners on the design of the lavender. It looks more like lilac, but let's just pretend it's a really plump stalk of lavender, shall we?

[Edit/Add: for Rebecca, the backing fabric.]

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm normally not that enthralled with sewing or the like projects, not being a sewer (or the like) myself, but I immediately liked the looks of this. I like the color combination you used along the edges, and the way they're at angles. And the center design gives it a personalized/stylized look.

Michelle P said...

I love these, lilac-lavendar and all!!

Griffen said...

We're those for Sharon? It's my guess, since the wedding was covered in lavender. The air even carried the scent.

w. said...

I've seen these in real life, and they are lovely, and loved by the paulwentzellsons.

Rebecca said...

GORGEOUS pillows! I LOVE the quilted funky/offsentered sides. And the embroidery is beautiful. These must have take you FOREVER to make!

Is the back plain white or quilted?

These are top-notch.

BTW~I was just looking through a magazine on quilts that someone gave me and found a quilt that has Abigail written ALL over it. I am going to post it on my blog one of these days. Reminds me of your summertime quilt...

Abigail said...

Thanks. I'm glad some of you and they like them!

The back is just one piece, but it's a beautiful blue print. I'll have to edit this post and add it, even though it's a boring picture, because I like the print so much.

Piecing together the pillow faces went quickly enough, because sewing machines are magic. I started the embroidery an hour into our trip on Wednesday evening, and I finished it on Friday night. Every time the girls napped or we drove somewhere, I got it out, and I stayed up pretty late on Thursday and Friday nights.

I wish I hadn't procrastinated because the embroidery design suffered for my sin.

Summertime quilt? WHAT summertime quilt? All I have so far are a pile of fabric and a design that I plan to revamp! :) How pathetic...

Rebecca said...

Gorgeous!

(And I don't find that picture to be boring at all!)

Thanks for posting it.