5.08.2007

Ashes to Something Other Than


Three Saturdays ago, we breathed asbestos for a day, but at dusk we had a large pile of siding and shards to show for our labor. Now we wait for Cousin Frost to haul them away before we contact the fire department. We're hoping that they'll perform a controlled burn for us, which would help us avoid less controlled, more time-consuming burns we'd do ourselves.

John worked for an hour and a half by himself until my mom and I came down to help him. Then Luke showed up (on a weekend visit from Connecticut) and helped us for a while.





Joel showed up for about five minutes, just long enough to break a hammer and to procrastinate from a paper he was supposed to be writing.




I'd like to keep this little shed intact. When we were younger, Luke and I would explore the burned house and the shed. I like the look of it; plus, it's a treasure house.


See? Treasure.





I was the only one lucky enough to wear a mask. I took it off after this picture, though, because the day was too beautiful to waste by protecting my lungs.


Here's John and the last barrowfull. The house, all around, is stripped clean.

8 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

oh wow.

blessings on all your labors! dreams are hard work.

Anonymous said...

You're always so stylish. . .

Full of Grace said...

You weren't exaggerating when you said you had an awful lot to do before building!!! It does look like you got a bunch accomplished- doesn't that feel good :) It makes the other stuff disappear (even if only for a fleeting moment)

Griffen said...

Yeah for beginnings. I can't wait to see all the progressions and transformations. What fun to make old new again. I'm so happy for you.

Rebecca said...

You better keep that shed! One dream I have is to make a not-quite lifesize playhouse for the children. Not those tacky plastic ones, mind you. But a wood one. With fabric curtains.

Someday.

Abigail said...

Ooh, a playhouse. Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Abby,

We'd be more than happy to lend a helping hand! Let us know when you'll be in Nanticoke again and we'll pitch in!

Abigail said...

Will do! We had decided to come and work spur of the moment, and we didn't think it would go as quickly as it did (not that I'm complaining!).