5.08.2007

Perfection



The girls and I drove to Nanticoke to haul the bins of too small/too big/too bulky clothing to my brother's pole barn for summer storage. As an indication of his excellence, my dad didn't require any prompting to pull some kites out of his bedroom closet before asking us if we'd like to use them. Who was he kidding?

It was a peerless day. We sent that kite soaring.

First off, I crashed it, tangled the line, and spent a few minutes trying to separate knotted clumps. (Debbie was there, too, which explains the pictures in which I magically appear without using the timer.)




Then I pranced around with a fancy high-step to coax it aloft again. (Hey, laugh all you want. It worked.)



Millie took the line.




Annie took the line.




First, Susannah lost a shoe.



Then she, too, took the line for a minute.


Unfortunately, she then let go, and the kite bolted straight for the power lines. I set off on a wild chase across the field after it, retrieving it only when happy chance smiled down and caught the line with some weeds. Fortunately, no pictures were taken of this huffing about.

And here's some doodle-paint.




7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yay, more doodles! And even better in color. The thing about your drawing is that it doesn't just capture images, it captures emotions.

Full of Grace said...

I LOVE you Doodle Paint :) It sounded like a wonderful time!!!

Sorry you all were sick last weekend, but no worries- we will try to have a cookout again soon :)

Liana said...

pictures & doodles - perfect.

Griffen said...

I like this one. It should also have shown the long braided mama, who is probably spying on these happy children from behind that tree.

Rebecca said...

I don't care WHAT anyone says. It is positively sinful to call any of the magic that pours from your fingertips DOODLES.

In ANY form...paint, ink, or pictures.

Rebecca said...

PS. I can't think of more than twice that I have ever FLOWN a kite. Looks like fun!

Abigail said...

Thank you, dear readers.

Titi,
I had a similar reaction to your comment as I did to one that an art professor at Houghton once made about me. He said something to the effect that my face was a mirror, and that one could see my soul on my face.

First, I thought, "Wow. What a nice thing to say." Then, I thought, "Wait a minute. Do I even understand what that means?!?" Then, I thought, "Nope, it could even be something awful." Then, I thought, "Anyway, it's not true."

I'm positive that my soul hides lots that never shows itself on my face, but I'm not so eager to negate your comment. Thank you. You're kind to say so.

Rebecca,
It IS fun! If the girls had been happy flying the kite for another hour, I would have seized the chance. On a day that's as perfect for flying as this one was, I could stay in the fields all day. It calms me, plus, it's a heck of fun and definately worth a doodle. :)