2.09.2011

Fancy Pants

I always say "yum" to recipes that include sundried tomatoes in the list of ingredients before turning the page because I've never bought them before, and I probably never will. (Don't worry. I buy lots of other useless things, but I just haven't found the gumption to add sun-dried tomatoes to the list.)

Wanting what I did not have on a blistering summer day, I sliced, seasoned, and dried some beauties.


Enter: makeshift drying rack.
(Thanks to you, old window screens, stick, and bug net!)



They dried beautifully. The only problem I had was my voracious appetite. They were so good that immediately upon placing them in a Mason jar for "storage," I upended the jar and ate every last one. The next batch I made lasted slightly longer--maybe half a day. Next year I'm going to have to expand the operation by a factory or two if I want the yield to keep pace with my belly. Do you have any idea how many tomatoes that is?!! The Bird would say, "That's a MILLION HUNDRED THOUSAND!" And she'd be absolutely right.

4 comments :

Rebecca said...

I can't believe it took me so long to do sundried tomatoes. After tasting the first one I thought "WHERE HAVE I BEEN?!?!"

Clever setup too.

alltheposts said...

I agree. Yum. In the winter I slice up cheap roma tomatoes and drizzle them with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and cook them in the oven at about 200 for a long, long time. Then I plan to use them on pizzas or sandwiches but eat them all off the baking sheet as they cool instead.

Abigail said...

OH, that sounds good! I make beef jerky in the oven that way, but I'd never thought of using it for tomatoes. (duh.)

Half of me is tempted to spend my camera fund money on a dehydrator instead. It'd be more energy-efficient than the oven, I could run it during night hours, AND I could use the oven while still drying myself a ten pounds of tomatoes for a midnight snack.

Abigail said...

To be clear, A Ten Pounds is the newest serving size from the FDA: as in, "I had a ten pounds of tomatoes for my midnight snack."