2.09.2011

A Point in Spring's Favor

Spring's a'coming, Mildred! Hold your horses!

Last fall, I promised Millie I'd teach her to properly ride. I was a to-do list personified, though, burdened by the minutia of canning and freezing and school beginning, so she only got two lessons.

I use the term "lessons" loosely. Basically, I showed her how to clean hooves, and then she went to town with a comb and a curry brush.







I didn't bridle Princess but simply clipped the lead rope on both sides of her halter so that Millie could get used to directing her. And my mom no longer has a children's saddle, so Millie used the youth saddle, which as you can see by her precarious seat, is a bit large.


Mostly, Princess just ate grass while the girls sat on her.


Piper thought she was the bee's knees. (What does that mean, anyway?!)


And then Princess, self-directed pony that she is, took Millie right back to the barn.



While we love plump and stubborn ponies, someday I'd love to have a horse of our own.

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Corynn must never see these photos.

Abigail said...

Please show them to her.

Please also tell her that she can ride Princess herself! I'd be more than happy to saddle her up the next time you all visit for a few turns round the lawn.

Remind me. I mean it!