2.09.2011

Rejoice in the Works of His Hands


On a bitterly cold morning, one glance outside made me gasp. The sun was already quite high, but it wasn't nearly warm enough to melt the beauty. Every last inch of every last surface was etched in frosty filigree. I told the girls I'd be right back, and I hurried outside with my camera, wearing my lime green bathrobe and slippers.







I really intended to only stay out for a few minutes, but it was nearly half an hour later that I came back inside, half-frozen but with some beauty tucked away in my black box.









Our Creator delights in beauty, and gifts like these must not be ignored.
Praise His name!























The burdocks were transformed in the light.



Even those in the shadow of the coop had new appeal.







God lavished detail on rusty nails; I probably passed over dozens before I knelt to notice.






A jet is tucked between the goldenrod stems.
















I took this last picture right before coming inside. It's the girls' skating rink, and the thoughtful placement of the rocking chair made me happy.


8 comments :

Margaret said...

Amazing photography - love it!

Liana said...

What a beautiful series of photos!

Anonymous said...

Mesmerizing! Your camera is broken? These pictures are gallery quality, Abigail. Absolutely amazing. I am in awe of our Creator's beauty captured by you!

Molly said...

I was so enraptured by the beauty of the photos that I didn't put my name to the above post. Ooops!

Griffen said...

WOW WOW! Would you mind sharing the name of your camera and the type of lens used for taking these? I'm quite certain it's mostly the woman beHIND the lens, but even so. I'm kinda saving up too. I'm actually using my CELL PHONE for all the pictures I'm taking these days:( Me and my stupid "leaving my camera under tables at hotels" and such...

Abigail said...

In spite of a broken zoom, ditto lcd screen, ditto flash, and "focus sometimes all wonky," it's obviously not truly broken, and I shouldn't have said so because it still faithfully earns its keep! I'm glad you all enjoyed these.

Sandy,
I would love to recommend this camera because it's been wonderful, but it's an outdated model, and the only place I could find it for sale online is Amazon-- at 50+ dollars more than it cost when we got it four years ago! John bought it for $240, and, given the way technology speeds forward, I bet you could find a better camera now for less that that. It's a Fujifilm Finepix 700, and I don't have any extra lenses (if it has any?). I just use what is attached to the camera. This is the fanciest camera I've ever owned, and I don't have any experience with or knowledge of other brands or models, so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

Does anyone reading this have any suggestions? Any great, reasonably priced cameras you can recommend?

C'mon, people, spill the beans!

Rebecca said...

It is photos like these that have me (inwardly) snort when people say "I take crummy pictures because I don't have a fancy camera." Um. yeah.

And that is why I snort whenever you say I take great pictures. Because you blow me out of the water even with a camera on life-support. :-)

Beautiful.

Amazingly so.

Abigail said...

Rebecca,

P'shaw
and
snort.

I agree with those people, most of the time, because I remember what awful pictures I took with our first dinky point and shoot. When we bought this one, it was amazing! Even on life support, it can capture things that our dinky camera never could have (and I hold out hope--perhaps false-- that a nicer camera could do still more!).

But you're right, too. Remember our conversation about this? Even without the extra gear for your Rebel, you still captured magic for my brother's wedding that the fanciest gear {minus an artistic eye) couldn't capture.